Thread: The planet defenses.

Hybrid View

But there are a number of colony defense options that don't require the colony to be productive: mine deployment ships, cruiser and battlecruiser transforms, or just leaving a fleet in orbit.

I'm curious about that feedback, then. People thought those options weren't good enough, or people didn't want to actually spend resources defending their new colonies?

Sounds like maybe people just didn't want to use those forms of defense, they wanted to be able to build the planetary defenses from the planet itself. I know in one of my games the only defenses I have are the orbital arrays. It all depends on what you decide to research, mine deployment and orbital defenses are easy to research to throw up, but the cruiser/battlecruiser transforms take a coupla research items each, since first you have to research the ship itself, then the tech to transform it (don't remember what tier those techs are, but if it's not tier 1 for the ships and the transforms, thats even longer before you can get em, whereas mine deployment and orbital defense i believe are both tier 1). As for minefields, I have no idea what kind of attack they have for how effective they are.

Quote Originally Posted by JetJaguar2000 View Post
    But there are a number of colony defense options that don't require the colony to be productive: mine deployment ships, cruiser and battlecruiser transforms, or just leaving a fleet in orbit.

I'm curious about that feedback, then. People thought those options weren't good enough, or people didn't want to actually spend resources defending their new colonies?
    Mine deployers, and the ship conversions didn't exist then. All of those things were added later to try and address the problem of protecting newly placed colonies.

You would drop a colony and somebody would come by with a pair of cruisers and that was it, colony gone.

Maybe that means you can dial back the awesomeness of colonies, then. As I wrote before, I think allowing colonies to be so indestructible feeds in to the "land grab" strategy that I think is really problematic for the game. I think there needs to be more checks against that, so that people who don't play constantly can stand a chance in the long game.