Thread: Launch Update - Submission Rejected

Threaded View

Billing Model

It is a bummer that your original plan was rejected by apple. I hope you appeal goes well.

It seems to me that a subscription model is classic MMO, and since that model is what you all are following it makes sense to use that model. Apple should recognize that for MMOs to have a quality experience (without all of the IAP that plague games in general) that a subscription model should be available to those types of games.

All of that being said, personally I do not like the subscription model. I have purchased Order & Chaos, but have never played it because I feel like I need to use the heck out of it to make the playtime worthwhile - I only have 3 months to play before they want more money from me. I have so many games on my idevices (and on my computer) that I could be playing, and to dedicate my time to one app to make me feel like I am using my subscription time, I am just not ready for. (Yes $.99 per month or the $1.99 you all were going to ask isn't that much, and if one assumes that entertainment dollars are worth $1-2/hour - which is low compared to movie prices then really that is a bargain, but to pay a monthly fee for a game on an idevice feels awkward, even though two dollars isnt really that much - which I already burned through my entertainment time writing this post which you probably have already stopped reading).

Now, I love this type of game, and am dying to try it when it comes out (and yes Ill prob do the subscription if that is the economic model you are using). I also realize that to change the code for a different economic model would be a pain, but I would like to toss out a few suggestions (even if it is a little late, since you have already indicated to go the Order & Chaos route if the appeal is rejected).

Personally I would rather pay $5 or $6 and not have to worry about a monthly fee, but then there is a barrier to entry; my perception is that not many people (but maybe those on these boards) would shell out that much money for a game they do not know much about.

I should also preface this on that I have not played in the Beta, nor do I know how many subscriptions you are planning on/need for the game to be profitable. There are many variables there that are key to profitability. I also do not know how many idevice gamers would be scared off by the subscription model, or how many would just forget to turn off their subscription (resulting in more income), personally in general I do not like a reoccurring cost for a game (even though I understand why they exist, and I did play WoW for years)

The option I like the best is to have the game be free, and give access to the test server (I saw mention of the test server). You might consider resetting the test server every month or so just to keep interest up. Then you can have an IAP that opens the 'PRO' gameplay (like $6), which would then open the ladder/competitive gameplay. This gets rid of the $6 barrier to entry that may scare some off and then opens the real piece of the game. (I do not know how many people will subscribe for three months, but seems like that would be about the period of time a subscribers interest would be held). This could result in higher server costs for the server to maintain all of the freebie people but more people might be willing to try it and love it ( so is a tough call).

I had some other suggestions, but frankly, I did not like them as much as the above, so I deleted them. Anyway good luck with whatever economic model is used (which sounds like has been determined) and I hope Apple approves the app soon so we can get to playing!
    Last edited by rstrbn; 03-14-2012 at 04:20 AM.