I have played GE, and I know the others have played it as well. I can say this for it, out to the web based MMOs it's got some pretty home world graphics.. Very Star Craft like with the little guys that collect the crystals...

Other than that there is what 2rben points out. Most of those style of games are all about the money grab. Which is a HUGE detractor for me. I like a competitive strategy game that can have a real outcome. Sadly the majority of games out there are all about getting as much money as they can, and they usually aren't really focused on what's ultimately in it for the long haul player. Balance can usually be an issue, as well as other things.

I would suggest you download GE, and check it out.. I get frustrated in a lot of those games, because a lot of the functionality we have implemented in our game to navigate around makes it much easier to manage your empire. The games also have a very different feel to them. I can say that, but you won't get it till you play EotE. Ours feels more like a PC game. Like it's more of a real game like Civ (Only with a much better interface designed for mobile devices), vs Farmville feel.