I had a similar question when I was talking to them...

We have to provide an "AutoAccount" feature. Basically if you just click "Login" without signing up, we need to provide a mechanism that doesn't require you to type configure an account. Our server will autogenerate a username and password for the account. It won't require that you signup officially. This will only work on the device you are on, and will not be able to sign in on another device. The Username/Password fields will be locked when using this mode. If you reset your device you'll basically be hosed, since we can no longer use the UUID (RE: http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/19/app...sing-out-udid/ ).

We HIGHLY suggest people signup for an account if they plan on playing the game, because if you don't and you change devices you my lose any purchases you made on your old device. According to Apple that's fine. If you have multiple devices, you will need to either signup, or buy accounts on all your devices. We don't have any control over this, it is policy, and I was told such.

So while we don't require the signup, it's highly suggested, just for your sanity. We'll put a blurb on the log in screen saying such.

Those are the big changes.. Which in all it's pretty simple stuff. We just need to add an "Automation" packet to the log in process. No free accounts, you will still need to create a character to play.