Thread: Player control indicators

Hybrid View

Something we have in the game is what we call system sovereignty. This basically can tell us how owns the majority of a system. So if there are 6 planets and someone owns 2 and someone else owns 1 the player that owns 2 would have system sovereignty.

That could be used to color the map to a certain extent. Realistically we wouldn't be able to provide all players with their own color. I would think you might have a few colors, like - at peace, embargo, at war, and then a color for you. We could probably have some kind of display that could show sectors like that. Then the top level map would use those same colors, but it would show what there is most of in a sector area.

ie if you have 55% at war the galactic sector would show as the at war color, just as if you were the primary owner of a galactic section it would show you your color.

As for the planet names, you want to be able to look at a sector you went through and be able to click on the planet and see it's name, or are you referring to a list of "Encountered" planets that have basic information on the planets you have encountered in a specific game. So then you could create a colony ship, look at your encountered say terran planets, click on it and send your ship directly there?

Let me know your thoughts. I like the idea of both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by zarkwizard View Post
    That could be used to color the map to a certain extent. Realistically we wouldn't be able to provide all players with their own color. I would think you might have a few colors, like - at peace, embargo, at war, and then a color for you. We could probably have some kind of display that could show sectors like that. Then the top level map would use those same colors, but it would show what there is most of in a sector area.
    What I'm describing is more of a temporary superimposition on the 25x25 map. I would select a player from my Relations list, press a button (called, say, "Known Empire"), and it would show you every place that player has known ownership of a planet on the 25x25 map with some sort of flashing indicator. You could then press 'cancel' to go back to the normal view or 'relations' to select another player you want to observe. I think it would be a useful visual measure of the approximate size of a player's empire, so you could keep tabs on them.

you want to be able to look at a sector you went through and be able to click on the planet and see it's name
    Yes, and also the planet's output of minerals, the type of planet (sometime's I mistake a water planet for a terran planet; this will change with more experience, but it will make it easier for newer players), who owned it the last time I saw it, and whatever ships/orbitals were surrounding that planet the last time I was there. Basically, whatever information was available when I had a ship there, I want it available after I leave as a form of "snapshot". It may not be the same once I return to that planet, but it will give me a good idea of what to expect.

a list of "Encountered" planets that have basic information on the planets you have encountered in a specific game. So then you could create a colony ship, look at your encountered say terran planets, click on it and send your ship directly there?
    This would be helpful as well. You could add it as a separate tab in the Planets menu, perhaps after the "Outposts" tab. You could also put an icon or summary next to every planet on that list which says if I currently have any trade routes with that planet. This would help immensely when trying to plan a new trade route because I currently have no idea which planets are trading unless I click on AI Ships and select each cargo ship/harvester to determine if it is a) harvesting or trading, and b) with which planet. Your idea to identify a terran planet and send a colony ship from that menu would apply perfectly to this situation, considering that currently we have to first send a cargo ship to the planet and establish a trade route once we are there.