Something we have in the game is what we call system sovereignty. This basically can tell us how owns the majority of a system. So if there are 6 planets and someone owns 2 and someone else owns 1 the player that owns 2 would have system sovereignty.

That could be used to color the map to a certain extent. Realistically we wouldn't be able to provide all players with their own color. I would think you might have a few colors, like - at peace, embargo, at war, and then a color for you. We could probably have some kind of display that could show sectors like that. Then the top level map would use those same colors, but it would show what there is most of in a sector area.

ie if you have 55% at war the galactic sector would show as the at war color, just as if you were the primary owner of a galactic section it would show you your color.

As for the planet names, you want to be able to look at a sector you went through and be able to click on the planet and see it's name, or are you referring to a list of "Encountered" planets that have basic information on the planets you have encountered in a specific game. So then you could create a colony ship, look at your encountered say terran planets, click on it and send your ship directly there?

Let me know your thoughts. I like the idea of both of those.