This looks very very similar to the way eve-online does it where you have categories(Gunnery, Drones), skills(small energy turret, Combat Drone Operation), ranks(multiplier for skill training time), and levels(level 1 through 5).

My Understanding:
Now this is what I am seeing, correct me if I am wrong. Instead of eve-online "ranks" you have teirs(kind of work the same), and instead of eve "levels" you have "ranks/upgrades"

So for example in Eve you might have...
Category: Spaceship Command
Skill: Medium Energy Turret - Operation of Medium Energy Turrets. 5% bonus to medium energy turret damage per level
Rank(training multiplier): 3
Levels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5(max)
Required skills: Gunnery Level 3
- so if it is normally 30 minutes for a level 1 skill to train you multiply that by 3 for training time, and if it is one week for a level 5 you multiply that by 3 to get 21 days.

But in EotE you would have...
Category:Combat Skills
Skill: Strike Fleet Construction - Allows the production of Battlecruisers and Battleships. +5% defense to destroyers, cruisers, battlecruisers, and battleships per rank
Tier: 2 (takes 1 day to train skill initially)
Ranks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5(not sure what cap there is)
Required skills: Either Orbital Defenses or Offensive Initiative on Teir 1 of Combat Skills must be trained

I figure since most people testing this game seem to play eve this would be a good analogy. No doubt eve influenced yall a lot

My questions and confusion:

1. How many ranks will you be able to train for each skill?
2. You wrote "Upgrades to Learned Skills take 1 day per rank to learn for all ranks other than rank 1 which takes 0.5 days to upgrade"
Now does that mean every rank/level you want to upgrade a skill to takes 1 day to train save for the first upgrade(training from level 1 to level 2) which is 0.5 days. Meaning you could spend 3.5 days ranking up ranking up "Plasma Arrmament" which would put it at rank 5 giving a 50% bonus to damage for capital ships.
this would be the 10% bonus for initially training the skill, the 0.5 days of training for level 2, and 3 days training levels 3, 4, and 5.

Am I understanding that right? Or do teirs act like multipliers for rank/level upgrade time?