Forget the idea of a special unit (especially with those stats, that's ridiculous). At the very least, you should be able to get an estimate of the forces in orbit of a planet without actually going in to orbit. I think this information should be available by default from the star, but if it has to be a probe's "active ability," fine. What is becoming increasingly difficult to stomach is the deathtrap nature of enemy colonies/fleets. By stacking your ships and orbitals correctly, you can make it very difficult to tell if a planet is even a colony or an outpost, and what kind of fleet is there. It doesn't make sense that you can have a pile of 100 dreadnoughts in orbit, and then stick a destroyer on top, and the only thing anyone sees is the destroyer.

I suppose some of this will be fixed with actual battle reports implemented, but I'm getting really tired of playing the "guess what's at this planet" game as far as combat goes. With super-powered colonies, entire fleets can be wiped out instantly.