Thread: Future changes and thoughts... For 1.0.8

Hybrid View

I like a lot of what I am reading. Let me give you my biggest fear. Please do not take this as a slam I mean this in good ways.

I'm not hardcore on this game. While I am a gamer this game has enough issues early on that I am not 100% involved with it. I am staying with it as I believe as it evolves it will be something wonderful to play.

I am sure you have lost some early players due to this. Not to mention the tutorial video's are sub-par and don't explain well enough game play. There are only the few of you trying to do a million things and that takes time.

My biggest fear is while the game is being tuned and fixed your going to lose your player base to the point that it is not profitable to continue. Not to mention with these new changes making the game totally different from the tutorial new players who are not 4x fans are going to say forget it.

I am suggesting you scrap the tutorials and have players go right to the wiki to learn to play the game, that or actually take the time to make an in-game manual. Course you would have to update the manual for every change.

Course the wiki isn't near up to speed. You obviously have some very dedicated players here. I am thinking maybe one or two of them might trade some serious work on keeping the wiki up to speed for free game time. That way the wiki is 100%, players will not be near frustrated trying to play, and you'll have people keeping up with changes made to the game as there being made.

Just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Marked View Post
    My biggest fear is while the game is being tuned and fixed your going to lose your player base to the point that it is not profitable to continue.
    We have heard this a few times. We have more than enough money set aside to make sure the servers will run for a VERY VERY VERY long time. We were paying for the servers, and bandwidth for 2 years without making anything. We are determined to make everything work. We have much bigger plans than just EotE, but we will not focus on the new, until we make sure this game is right.

We plan on doing some new things once we get settled down. We have been working on a scripting tutorial engine that would allow us to script some basic things in the game to get people in the swing of things. Although things like that won't go in to place before we get all the changes settled, and we can show how the mechanic will work.

All of the things you mention are important to us. We are in this for the LONG haul, I can assure you.

Awesome glad to hear it. I tell you one thing you all have nailed down and that is talking and making your players and fans feel that they are important and part of the game. Very few companies can do that and I for one thank you.

Any idea when you expect 1.0.8 to roll out?

Quote Originally Posted by Marked View Post
    Awesome glad to hear it. I tell you one thing you all have nailed down and that is talking and making your players and fans feel that they are important and part of the game. Very few companies can do that and I for one thank you.

Any idea when you expect 1.0.8 to roll out?
    There will probably be a couple of updates.. We have 2 things going on. The current server doesn't support some of the bigger changes we want to make, so we are building a new server from the ground up. We have brought in a few people to accelerate the process. It will probably be near the end of August.

Some changes like Combat, and a few other smaller things will be going in over the next month or so. We are still working on tweaking the combat numbers through the simulators trying to make sure we get everything spot on. As soon as we have an official release plan we'll let you guys know.

We are also keeping an eye on feed back from the games that finish to determine if we need to tweak anything else along the way.

Now is the time to give feed back. Since a new server is being designed we want, and need to take big functionality changes in to account while we are in design phase. We are even looking at a way to make a persistent game with a cap on skill points, but that's a future thing.

All of this is part of the reason you don't see us posting a ton. We are trying to read the forums, but we are mainly focused on getting things fixed. We will be setting all players to free mode for now till we get everything completed. So anyone that bought the game won't have to purchase another month, till we feel, and you feel the game is right.
    Last edited by zarkwizard; 06-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.